Sunday, November 7, 2010

Non-Formal, Informal and Formal Learning Settings

My knowledge of the subjects I have learned have been developed mostly in formal settings. Learning about Photography, History, Spanish and 3D animation have all been in the classroom which I consider to be a formal setting. Learning how to juggle my many hats is more of a non-formal setting while taking online classes is more informal.

I feel that in formal settings I take my assignments and lessons more seriously. Knowing that a grade will be given at the end of an assignment or a semester weighs heavily on the importance of the task at hand. I have a lot of time invested in school and in the end I want to do well. When all is said and done, I will also have a lot of money invested in my education and do not want to waste it on having to retake any classes. These formal lessons are long term goals I am looking to achieve not immediate knowledge that I expect to understand.

Generally I prioritize my school work over my house work (just to use an example). At times I do wonder if this is the right approach. I can not leave my house upside down and in utter chaos while I’m sitting at the computer writing a paper. The upside down house leaves me sitting at the table distracted about the paper.  This more non-formal lesson of being organized and prioritizing when my studies vs. my housework should be done is an ever fighting battle. I continue to struggle with prioritizing when to do the laundry vs. the paper.  While the laundry does not have a deadline associated with it, we do need clean clothes to leave the house each day.  Life lessons are more non-formal in my opinion because they are specific to me and have to do with my environment. I do not learn about these lessons while listening to a lecture on The Civil War. It may be in the middle of the grocery store that a new life lesson hits me.

This is my 6th online class at Marist. I also took a number of online classes through my previous employer. I even took virtual classes which were slightly different than the forum posting type setting of iLearn.  I would submit assignments directly to the teacher via fax or email.  This type of setting is more informal, although for me I do take it as seriously as a classroom setting. This alternative type of education allows for a mother of 2 children who works full time (me) to take classes that I need to complete my degree without having to adjust my work schedule.

Each setting has advantages and disadvantages. A formal classroom setting is how I learn best. Being immersed in classroom discussions each week is most effective for me. The down side for me is being in class 2 nights a week until 9PM. Simply put, it makes for a long day and I am exhausted by the time I get home those 2 nights a week. Non-formal lessons really do not have advantages or disadvantages, these lessons will happen no matter what. The lesson will have either a negative or positive connotation but I feel that the setting is neutral. What I like about informal settings is that I do not have to attend a class and can work at a different pace, not slower, just different. If I need to ‘go to class’ in my pajamas at 8AM, I can. If I am sick, I do not have to miss out on ‘class.’ However the down side is that at times I miss the interaction. There have been times when I have completely misunderstood assignments because there was no true discussion about said assignments.

While non-formal learning will happen every day for us, formal and informal settings may not. Even though I do feel that I learn better in a formal setting, I actually prefer a mix of the formal and informal classes. It allows for more flexibility for me and also allows for me to take 3 classes a semester rather than only 2 classes a semester.

Mark K. Smith, “Non-Formal Education.” 1996; 2001 Last update: September 3, 2009
http://www.infed.org/biblio/b-nonfor.htm (used only for clarification on the different types of learning)

No comments:

Post a Comment