Sunday, October 3, 2010

Maslows Needs

Earlier this year I had to take a Spanish class. I truly feel I have never struggled so much in a class in all of my education career. Unfortunately, I was not alone in the struggle in the class. The teacher changed the syllabus almost weekly and was terribly disorganized. Couple the constant changes and disorganization with a condensed class (8 weeks), working full time, two kids and taking 9 other credits bringing me to full time status for over a month and I turned into a pile of mush by the time I needed to work on my Spanish homework. Partly I feel I was having a Wonder Woman moment, thinking that I could pull all of life together and get an A in every class. I had this severely high need to achieve. However, I did the opposite of a typical individual with a high need to achieve and took more risks than I normally would. The biggest risk for me was not doing well in school during this time. My motivation was to complete the classes I needed for my degree of study at the time and do well at the same time. All without burning out!
Starting out my confidence level was high. I anticipated a great class. In the end I made an amazing friend who I love dearly, yet received a D in the class. The friendship alone was worth taking the class. The learning experience was harder for me to grasp at first. I did not want to admit to taking on too much, shhh, I still do not want to admit to taking on too much. I suppose I can say that I learned that I am self-confident because I took on a great challenge, worked hard and absolutely refused to give up in the end. I moved on, or rather moved past it. I would have to say that my motivation was extrinsic in the sense that the obvious external reward was completing the course and doing well. I am more motivated when the end result comes from within and I truly enjoy myself at whatever it is I am doing. Taking a class that I must take that ends up being a tornado of mistakes most definitely was not enjoyable for me.
I feel that Maslow would say that this not being an intrinsically motivated experience interfered with my need to achieve an A in the course, or even a B for that matter. My heart was not in it after the 2nd class when I recognized the insane pace I was living. The grade aside, I learned very little. I have a stack of index cards filled with Spanish words, phrases and places, yet I can not put together a sentence in Spanish to save my life.
In the end I am grateful for having taking the class. I now know that it is okay to take a step back and not be Wonder Woman at all times. I am still taking on 9 credits while working full time and being a parent to two young children. It is still a lot, however, it is more manageable. I have a higher level of motivation and confidence when I am not as stressed, as I was earlier this year.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate (which I already knew), but you are learning a lot...from all of the classes you take, whether you are happy with the grade or not.

    I am reminded of a quote I read that says, "The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking places." You have faced many opportunities where you could have stopped and/or quit, but you choose not to. You are driven (motivated) to succeed and that is what will get you to the finish line.

    Your friends and family recognize your efforts. And those moments where "you" feel you are no longer Wonder Woman, "we" see different. We see a Wonder Woman who is managing her time, and understands when to take on a new project or when to prioritize and put a few things on hold.

    The greatest benefit is to your kids who get to see you as Wonder Woman no matter what you do. Through those times when you feel you are on top or falling low, they always see you as Wonder Woman. Don't think so? Take a look at their smiles when you come home, take them to dance class, take them to bike competitions, etc.

    Getting back on track, from what I remember of his readings, Maslow believes the most important educational goals are for students to learn; and for educators to make this newly gained knowledge and information purposeful and meaningful to the students so that it may be retained and useful throughout their lives. An essential factor involved in meeting these goals is "motivation." If students are unmotivated in one way or another, it is likely that little learning will take place, or if by chance some learning should take place, it is probable that it will not be retained.

    So, my friend...maintain that drive and motivation, and soon the world will become your oyster (the one with the pearl in it). During this journey, there will be things that get in your way, but always remember: Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.

    GO RED FOXES!!!

    RKL

    ReplyDelete